Monday 25 October 2010

Funky Base

Today was spent developing more base shape ideas. I have been printing out 1:1000 scale plans and drawing on them until I find something that looks promising. Building on from where I left off last week, I have scrapped the idea of having separate sections and gone back to basics.




I liked the shape of the 4-section base idea but didn't really think it worked so I tweaked some of the corners and edges and a couple of iterations later ended up with this dynamic (and rather Crab studio) shape.



Trees around the buildings are represented by the holes in the base board. There will be others (especially on the river bank) but I liked this idea as it ties in with the Crab studio tables.



The large block building on the left of the image will be cut back a little more as it hangs too far over the edge.


I like this shape base board and I think I might hold on to it for now while I start looking at other areas of the build. I think it ties in nicely with the past works of Crab studios and certainly looks different but is not just an arbitrary shape as the edges all follow and run with certain features of the area plan i.e. the bank of the Mur, the tram line and the edges of buildings.


Next...


This is just a very quick experiment into weathering colours on wood. I first sprayed the pieces and then sand blasted them once dry. Needless to say it failed as the colour was stripped instantly and I didn't get a chance to recoat them. I also want to look at different varnishes to see if I can get a nice red colour for the roofs of the contextual buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment