Wednesday 24 November 2010

Getting closer

A big update but no time to properly describe what I have been doing...

I have been trying to get the blob so that it sits on 3 pedestals. I achieved this by using car body filler and parcel tape. The rough shapes of each pedestal are cut out according to my drawings (and to the right height) and placed in their positions. I tape the blob in the areas that are going to be touching the car body filler.

The body filler is applied to the top of the pedestals and then the blob is pushed down on top...

Blob showing car body filler squeezing out from the sides of the pedestals
 ...The body filler oozes out the sides and this is left to set and then sanded back flush with the pedestals. The parcel tape prevents the filler from sticking to the blob.

A couple of gaps left to fill on this side...

This leaves a nice pedestal which should fit flush with the contours of the blob.


...but perfect on this side.
 The pedestals will then be cladded with thin styrene ready for painting. Easy!

The baseboard also recieved a trimming to its final shape. I chose plywood because of its nice surface finish (I think it goes well with the natural pine wood houses) and also the properties of its layers.



The Kunsthaus Graz blob shaping is finished. I will spend the weekend priming, sanding and polishing it to bring it to the high-gloss finish I want. The Iron House building at the front of the blob will also be started as soon as the brass etched cladding arrives (hopefully friday or first thing monday) The glass which wraps around the blob will also be started (I plan on using a similar car body filler/ parcel tape method to get it to tightly conform to the contours of the blob)




In these pictures you can also see the river bank piece sticking out of the base. This will be trimmed back and will hold the trees which will go along the shoreline.


Speaking of trees, I have also been experimenting to try and find a cool, 'blobby' way of creating some so that they stay in the style of the Kunsthaus Graz.

These were created from twisted wire (which forms the trunk and branches) and clear polyester resin poured into a ping-pong ball.

The outer shell of the ball is then sanded away (as I couldn't get it out!) and then buffed back.


As you can see it's not quite what I want. Dirty and cracked looking trees don't really go with the aesthetic of this model! The one on the right was pigmented red just for fun, but I gave up finishing it off after seeing the result of its neighbour.


Finally, the colours of the trees and water are of concern. I think the water will end up in this turquoisy colour, with the Kunsthaus Graz being a bluer version of it. The green trees and river bank will also be a pea-greeny colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment